Science and Morality

kenneth collins kenneth.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 10 20:58:54 EST 2004

"kenneth collins" <kenneth.p.collins at worldnet.att.net> wrote in
message
news:DYHid.66686$OD2.39446 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| [...]

I watched your segment on "Homelessness" tonight. None of your
panelists saw deeply enough into the problem. It begins in
Childhood, when Children experience their Parents doing a lot of
stuff except "Parenting". Such experience sets a Child "adrift", and
as the Child matures, she or he is left without the skills upon
which the "establishment" depends.
In the above, it probably, at first, seems that I'm "isolating" the
problem to Families, but that's not True. The skills upon which the
'establishment' depends are not benevolent, but tend to be rather
cut-throat, and, more than anything else, folks who end up homeless
matured to adulthood without acquiring the correlated "skill".

It's a long story [I'll explain, a bit, below], but I've studied all
of this stuff over the course of the last 34 years. Looking back
through the lens of my own experience, I see clearly that folks are
primarily concerned with coping with the "cut-throat" stuff, and
only superficially with respect to "social niceties", like caring
for the "downtrodden". You know - folks give "lip-service" to those
who suffer all around them. Folks do this because experiencing
others' suffering is "burdensome", and that's where the "cut-throat"
stuff gains its impetus, and it's superficial "disguise", in which
folks learn [in Childhood] to be duplicitous, saying a lot of
"flowery" stuff while strongly 'moving away from' the "burden" of
dealing Justly with the folks who suffer all around them.

Of course what I'm saying, when first encountered, seems to be
"extreme", but take a look at demographic maps, and you'll see it
all for yourselves. Such maps do not only map population
characteristics. They also [literally] map folks' 'hearts'. Looking
at a demographic map, one can literally see folks' collective,
relatively long term, 'moving away from' behaviors. So there's
nothing "extreme" in what I've said above. Look at a demographic
map, and it's all right there, plain to see.

And the sad reality is that, within our 'society', the
duplicitousness has become rampant.

How do I know this? I've lived as an advocate for those who suffer.
I've experienced what I'm writing about.

As a young man gifted in science, I chose to work to explain how
"prejudice" arises within the biology of nervous systems. After 9
years' work, I was completely successful. That was 25 years ago.

You see, when I went to grad school, and spoke of this work that I'd
begun as an undergraduate, I was told that the problem of
"prejudice" "is impossible", and that, if I didn't give up working
on it, I'd not be allowed to continue on in grad school. This was
four years into my effort, and my eyes had been opened to how folks
suffer under the yoke of "prejudice", so I knew that I couldn't give
up. To do so would have made me responsible for folks' suffering. I
left grad school, and continued to research the problem in the
Neuroscience stacks of good libraries, achieving success in 1979. I
then circulated brief descriptions of the work I'd done, only to run
head-long into the "duplicitousness" in which folks say anything,
but only 'move away from' more-strongly.

Then the really-sorrowful stuff started happening. While resolving
the problem of how "prejudice" arises in the biology, there were
many gaps in the existing literature, so I had to construct models
in efforts to "bridge" these gaps. Everything in these "models" was
unknown to others, and what happened when I circulated my work was
that folks who saw what was in it realized that the "bridges" I'd
constructed were valuable technologically. Rather than help getting
the understanding communicated, these folks saw "dollar signs", and
did just the opposite - 'moved away from' allowing the understanding
to be generally communicated.

Can you see the immense sorrow inherent? In order to 'profit', folks
were withholding understanding that could help folks who suffer
under the yoke of "prejudice".

And, the more I "cry out", like in letters like this, the more folks
gather together in their superficial professions of
societal-"solidarity", treating me as if I'm some "poor lost soul",
even while professing "interest" in helping folks who suffer.

It's been ugly, and I'm left with my eyes wide open to that
ugliness.

There are a lot of variations, but homeless folks are just people
who don't play this duplicitous game. Folks who haven't learned the
dishonesty that's required to do so.

If you folks at [...] really want to know, I'll come to you and
explain everything, even the biology which is easy to understand.

Sincerely, k. p. collins