Temperature and voltage clamp

Matt Jones jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 16 11:03:57 EST 2004

r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:<hp0ap05qrl1bura4nu4egugralbp82h1vp at 4ax.com>...

> On the other hand, it could simply be that the guy had a very cold lab
> room!  A standard joke (no doubt, an urban legend) comparing American
> with British facilities is the line "Experiments were done at room
> temperature, 10 C."

Too true!

I have friends who worked in very old buildings in London and Dundee
who swear that "room temp" is 15 C. I also used to work in a brand new
building which won all sorts of architectural awards, but still had
really unreliable heating & ventillation. Sometimes you'd have to use
both hands and your foot to pry the hallway door open because the
draft from the HVAC system was creating such vacuum. "Room temp" in
that building could sometimes vary from 15-25 C during a single
afternoon. And at the time I was working exclusively on kinetic
measurements. It's a miracle any of it was publishable.

Matt