DHEA and Increased Homocysteine in Schizophrenia and Other Mental Disorders and Declines

Peter F fell_trapforspambot_in at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 17 22:41:56 EST 2004

"James Michael Howard" <jmhoward at anthropogeny.com> wrote in message news:je0fp0pj7aelhdeg70se8h9hmpi7259m9m at 4ax.com...

> DHEA and Increased Homocysteine in Schizophrenia and Other Mental
> Disorders and Declines
>
> Copyright 2004, James Michael Howard, Fayetteville, Arkansas, U.S.A.
>
> It is my hypothesis that schizophrenia results from low
> dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in utero / neonatal.  This results in
> reduced growth and development of the brain.  Subsequently, the
> hormones cortisol (stress) and testosterone in both sexes (puberty),
> alone but most likely in combination, combine to reduce DHEA at the
> time when DHEA naturally begins to decline around age twenty.  This
> then exposes, and further damages the reduced development of the brain
> of early life, and causes the symptoms of schizophrenia to begin and
> usually worsen with time.  Low DHEA is a characteristic of
> schizophrenia.
>
> Applebaum, et al., (J Psychiatr Res. 2004 Jul-Aug;38(4):413-6) report
> that "Homocysteine levels were markedly increased in this population
> of newly admitted schizophrenic patients, especially in young males."
> It is important to my hypothesis regarding low DHEA in schizophrenia,
> and other mental disorders and declines, that Bednarek-Tupilowska and
> Tupilowski reported that "Individual data showed that
> dehydroepiandrosterone probably lowers Hcy [homocysteine] level."
> (Postepy Hig Med Dosw (online) 2004; 58: 381-9.  It should also be
> noted that cortisol and testosterone both raise homocysteine levels,
> also supporting my hypothesis.

[As usual I welcome and take an interested in your bloodhound-like tracking
of what different kinds of 'tripping up' of the fairly fundamental and far-reaching
function of DHEA does to us. ]

Homocysteine is strongly implicated in deaths and debilitation
from arteriosclerotic disease - a both stress and diet related 'dilapidation'.

Amongst plural parallel explanatory points, the one I seem to have
specialized on pushing for a deeper understanding and recognition of, is, the
 role of psychological stressors (distressful situations), mainly;

And, of course, psychological stressors are normally giving
rise to (reflected by) biochemical chain-reactions involving stress hormones.

Eating foods containing folate is supposed to block some of the destructive
action of homocystein. But that is a bit like "closing the door to the stable
after the horse as bolted". Better not to provoke, as far as possible, "the horse
to bolt in the first place"!

IOW, since stress and its causes [primarily of course natural
environmental/social interactive causes, but also that CURSES (-type memories)
of SHITS (sudden-to-tardy trauma) strongly tend to make us perpetuate
or fail to prevent , through the AEVASIVE aspect of our minds,
many otherwise to be far less likely to arise "distressors".

Partly inspired by MAD (cold war shaming acronym), I arrived at EPT
[e.g: eclectically Explanatory perversely Pert
philosophical Terminology] and by concEPTual lenses/tools saw/grasped how
and why AEVASIVE preoccupations (personalities) normally preclude making
in dEPTh sense (of themselves).
In the acronym for Ambiadvantageously Evolved 'V-word' Actention
Selection (System) Involving Various Endorphins, AS(S) stand for how we
think/emote/behave based on our individual repertoire of competing {by
mutual inhibition) whilst cheered and booed {by current and past
environmental influences) "actention modules", & AE refer to the didactic
division of the Evolutionary Pressure Totality into relevant dialectic
lifetime juxtapositions of:
1. Opportunity
2. Adversity - here especially SHITS [Synaptic Hibernation Imploring
{naturally selective AND 'motivating' of selective unconsciousness)
Traumatic {also tardily so) Situations] normally repercussively retained as
CURSES type memory aka "Pain" (Janov)