Maternal stress kicks in foetal stress-like brain patterns (ADHD, autism)

Peter F fell_trapforspambot_in at ozemail.com.au
Sat Oct 2 00:22:52 EST 2004

"Dave Bird" <dave.xemu.deleteThe at nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:krarPPBQWcWBFwIo at xemu.demon.co.uk...

>  My off-the-wall interpretation: stress conditions in the mother are
>  clearly prompting stress-type reactions in the foetal brain.
>
>  ADHD is very like early-stage stress response, which combines high
>  levels of arousal and activation with low levels of thought,
>  planning, or pleasure: high noradrenaline // low dopamine.
>
>  Autism is like opiate shutdown under extreme stress: the capacity
>  to understand people and situations is blocked, in favour of just
>  using (or submitting to) force.
>

> News-Medical.Net Link between mother’s stress levels during pregnancy
> and the effect on the brain of her unborn baby
> Posted By: News-Medical in Medical Study News
> Published: Monday, 20-Sep-2004
>    Printer Friendly      Email to a Friend
>

> An intriguing link between a mother’s stress levels during pregnancy and
> the effect on the brain of her unborn baby is revealed in a new study of
> children born in Bristol, England.
> The research suggests that a woman who suffers anxiety during mid
> pregnancy is more likely to have a child who shows mixed handedness –
> neither left nor right handed - and that is associated with a range of
> conditions such as autism, dyslexia and hyperactivity. .
>
> The findings, published in the medical journal Early Human Development,
> are based on information collected by the Children of the 90s project
> based at the University of Bristol.
>
> Professor Vivette Glover from Imperial College in London analysed data
> on 7,400 mothers and children.
>
> Mothers were asked to report whether, at the age of three a half, their
> child used the right or left hand for six tasks – drawing, throwing a
> ball, colouring, holding a toothbrush, using a knife and hitting things.
>
> In the analysis, children who used either hand for two or more tasks
> were classified as mixed-handed – 21.3 per cent of the boys and 15.4 per
> cent of the girls.
>
> The results were compared against standard tests of mother’s anxiety at
> three stages during and after pregnancy.
>
> Previous research with animals had suggested that there is a link
> between prenatal stress and laterality – our natural preference for
> using one side of the body.
>
> While handedness is often inherited, it is also believed that it may be
> affected by conditions in the womb – specifically by increased levels of
> hormones such as testosterone.
>
> When the results were analysed, Professor Glover found that women who
> suffered anxiety in the 18th week of pregnancy were more likely to have
> a child who showed mixed handedness. There was no significant connection
> with anxiety later in pregnancy or with ante-natal depression.
>
> Professor Glover reports: “These findings show that the connection
> between antenatal stress and anxiety and atypical laterality observed in
> animal studies also exists in humans.
>
> “After controlling for other factors, elevated anxiety at 18 weeks
> gestation was associated with a 20 to 30 per cent increase in mixed
> [...]

Info such as what David Bird has relayed (and interpreted) falls mostly on "deaf ears".

Or worse, its meaning is 'mauled' (the opposite of being put to constructive use by well-measured mental mastication of the info). ;-)

Personally, I tend to "slot in" this kind of statistics (or results of research) by help of my EPT brand of analytical sem_antics (including SEPTIC humor). I understand that I do so in order to satisfy my explanatory drive (a part of my, by intent basically science-aligned, endeavour to perversely philosophically thrive"), as follows:

The finding in question provides a few defining dots on 'a map' being as if plotted to partly contain - a complementary piece of (information about) - "SHITS". (I have tried to explain SHITS below).

In this sense the research in question is but a small contribution to the ever mounting pile of observations (scientific, clinical, and otherwise made) that support (lend credit and scientific substance to) the potentially medically and psychosocially and philosophically potent picture being perceptively painted and polished or improved (whilst put to practical use) chiefly by Arthur Janov (www.primaltherapy.com) ever since the late sixties.

SHITS are lifetime influences or challenging circumstance of an adverse character during which the "best bet" coping and survival strategy is such that SHITS also can be described as being: "experiences that preclude the distressful consciousness that is being preliminarily provoked when in them" (IOW, a SHITS occurs whenever individuals are in situations of some inescapable adversity that without the ability to become selectively unconscious would inexorably tend to cause stress-overload).

I make a distinction [and an IMO deserved di_stink_tion ;-)] between distress type stress and eustress type ditto. I do since biological evolution evidently does make a distinction (or what is logically and far from ineptly interpretable as such) between "opportunity type" and "adversity type" selective/evolutionary pressures [OTEP and ATEP].
The appropriateness of making this distinction (or at least that it is far from inEPT to do so:) is illustrated and exemplified in real life by reproductive routines ("opportunity taking", or "OTEP handling", such) that after copulation culminate in death of the male (*of course*!).

(A) SHITS is what leave(s) ontogenetic imprints and "CURSES" (type memories) behind inside the 'neuro-glandular system' [reflecting a perspective suggested by Richard Berglund in The Fabric Of Mind, Penguin] of individuals who have been in situations that were anywhere from tardily to rapidly traumatic (or whenever individuals are either slowly or speedily traumatized).

SHITS is a the most prominent and puerile key concEPT of my: decEPTively silly, eccentrically explanatory, philosophical, 'platform terminological', take (and exeedingly penny-pinchingly tight philanthropically oriented overview of/outlook on) "What Is going on".

In this role, SHITS is a suitably loose 'S_EPT_IC humored' acronym.

It works for me as if it were a lens that throws and focuses explanatory light on (SHITS refers to) the fairly obvious or self-evident fact that, within individual lifetimes (mainly but not only in the lives of neural individuals), the biological reality of phylogeny of fauna (especially) fairly frequently produced (and still does as the process of evolution continues to reflect how Reality conditions and shapes the lives /structures and functions/ of individuals and societies) NOT MERELY some with seasonal regularity eventuating adverse situations that "implore" (so to speak) a coping response the both *metabolic rate lowering* and *behaviour blocking* effect -- effects that are central to what is most conventionally meant by hibernation (or, for this matter, aestivation) -- *but also and MORE IMPORTANTLY* irregularly occurring physically inescapable challenges that threatens to be disintegrating - so lethal or otherwise less immediately reproductively deleterious - by way of stress-overload.

--------
A very weak or comparatively trivial  (not even or hardly describable as stressful) situation that call for selective cancellation of behavioural reflexes are environmental or life-situational challenges that requires and normally is met by what is referred to by the term "habituation" [the neurologically active (effected by interneurons) and passive (when neurons merely get tired from firing) extinguishment of an orienting reflex, focus of conscious attention, or behaviour; also typically characterized as the inhibition of responses to insignificant or irrelevant stimuli.]
--------

In contrast to "the habituation response", "repression" is a most centrally the neurally/interneuronally effected "gating" -- selective neuro-transmission blocking or filtering, and an active maintainance of a *disconnected* state of certain synaptic relay-stations [in the parallel processing pathways that include both potentially consciusness-energizing (RAT neurons) and content-specifying (specific type) neurons] -- of neural messages that carry a potentially overwhelmingly painful (distressful) significance.

Examples of the latter category of adverse lifetime challenges is waht I refer to by SHITS.

SHITS is an approximate abbreviation of a description as elastic as: "selective/synaptic hibernation imploring/inducing type situations".

SHITS is a suitably uncouth shorthand.

SHITS refers to stressors that can best, or only, be successfully coped with if the individual (being stressed) responds by way of a "selective (alt. specific) hibernation" imploring [and synaptic hibernation as specific as to be confined to a single synapse] type of a self-regulatory strategy.

"SHITS" is an acronymic concEPT loosely derived from (or with "Etymological Plasticity Termed") something like: "Specific (and/or synaptic) Hibernation Imploring (and/or Inducing) Type Situations".

That SHITS-type stressors can be from simple to complex, and that they can be seen to be a factor or component of a 'greater' or overall life-situation consisting of different parallel both lifetime and evolutionary life-stiuational "pressures" parallel opportunities OTEP as well as "adversities" ATEP, is part of the logic of, and part what I mean by, AEVASIVE. But that takes me far beyond what have bothered to try to explain here. %-}

Partly inspired by MAD (cold war shaming acronym), I arrived at EPT
[e.g: eclectically Explanatory perversely Pert
philosophical Terminology] and by concEPTual lenses/tools saw/grasped how
and why AEVASIVE preoccupations (personalites) normally preclude making
in-dEPTh sense (of themselves).
In the acronym for Ambiadvantageously Evolved Vexed Actention
Selection (System) Involving Various Endorphins, AS(S) stand for how we
think/emote/behave based on our individual repertoire of competing {by
mutual inhibition) whilst cheered and booed {by current and past
environmental influences) "actention modules", & AE refer to the didactic
division of the Evolutionary Pressure Totality into relevant dialectic
lifetime juxtapositions of:
1. Opportunity
2. Adversity - here especially SHITS [Synaptic Hibernation Imploring
{naturally selective AND 'motivating' of selective unconsciousness)
Traumatic {also tardily so) Situations] normally repercussively retained as
CURSES type memory (aka "Pain", à la Janov)