Brain surface

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sat Oct 16 06:20:56 EST 2004

Matthew - quickly,

Never apologise for such replies, that is exactly what I was looking for. I
will gather some refs together for you and post in due course or forward
directly to your email. This issue has been bugging me for many months now
and it is good to see that others are prepared to help me along with this.

As usual, you generate food for thought,

Thanks,

John.

"Matthew Kirkcaldie" <m.kirkcaldie at removethis.unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
news:m.kirkcaldie-1C98BB.15542716102004 at tomahawk.comms.unsw.edu.au...
> [...]
> believe we only use 10% of our brains, most neuroscientists would agree
> that even during "resting", there is sustained and large scale activity
> in the nervous system, and we are looking for fluctuations on a much
> smaller scale, which may or may not be relevant to what the region is
> doing.  For instance, active suppression of activity in a region is
> almost certainly more metabolically expensive than normal processing, so
> a strongly suppressed area would show up as more "active" on an fMRI
> scan.  Histological stains which show markers of high metabolic need are
> usually labelling inhibitory neurons, which tells us who the major
> "blood consumers" are in the brain.
>
> 5. Similarly, it is possible that changes in patterns of activity,
> rather than the overall amount of activity, could be far more relevant
> in processing tasks and stimuli.  The idea of synchronisation has been
> widely proposed as a way that processes could be "bound" together in
> consciousness, but that only involves altering the timing of spikes, not
> the overall number.  Presumably that wouldn't show up on fMRI at all,
> since the tissue's metabolic demands would be unchanged.
>
> 6. An allied argument is that changes in blood flow are a cumulative
> result of sustained activity, such that only the longest-duration
> changes are going to show up as changes to blood flow.  The blood flow
> changes necessarily lag whatever processes cause them, and that may take
> place over a much longer time scale than the processing itself takes.
> The longest-duration processes are not necessarily the most relevant to
> the ability under study.
>
> Finally, the major problem with fMRI is that it produces pretty images,
> at great expense, but really tells us very little about how the brain
> does what it does.  Ask yourself whether our knowledge of face
> recognition and how the brain does it is enhanced by knowing it's done
> on the fusiform gyrus, instead of knowing it happens in the head
> "somewhere".   Its illusion of specificity, combined with a lack of any
> real insight to processing, produces the dangerous illusion of
> understanding phenomena which in reality have only been *described*
> slightly more accurately.
>
> These and other reservations have led to fMRI being characterised by
> some hard-core physiologists of my acquaintance as "phrenology with
> coloured lights." A harsh assessment, but one which I have found quite
> hard to escape after hearing it.
>
> Of course there are insights to be gained from fMRI applied with regard
> for its limitations, but there is a growing body of "soft" science which
> appears to regard it as a kind of x-ray vision where you can watch
> people thinking.  Sorry, not even close!
>
> > This concern was heightened recently when I read
> > an unpublished paper citing that replicability in PET and fMRI is
difficult
> > to achieve. The author asserted that replicability was all but absent.
When