religion and the brain

Wolf Kirchmeir wwolfkir at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 22 13:58:18 EST 2004

rick++ wrote:

> This week's Time magazine reviews the new book "The God Gene".
> It takes the materialistic view that transcendental feelings
> have an evolutionary biology role as a community-enhancing survival trait.
> One could equally take the opposing view that there is a spiritual reality
> out there and life has developed rudimentary senses to perceive it.

Sure, but why would life do that? Other living things get along just
fine without any awareness of a spiritual reality. By contrast, humans
have a propensity to kill each other in disputes about the nature of
spiritual reality (more precisely, they kill each other over
disagreements about the correct ways to talk about it.) If that's what
awareness of spiritual reality leads to, I earnestly pray to it to make
itself unavailable to whatever sense is supposedly aware of it.