Brain surface

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 00:33:51 EST 2004

Fernandez et al, Menstrual Cycle-Dependent Neural Plasticity in the Adult
Human Brain is Hormone, Task, and Region Specific.  The Journal of
Neuroscience, May 1, 2003 . 23(9):3790 -3795

>From the conclusion of the article. ...

Regardless of the underlying mechanism(s), our findings demonstrate
that cortical representations of language are variable in the
fully developed brain and that progesterone and estradiol may
modulate neuronal plasticity in a task- and region-specific manner.

Below is the link on replicability but given your comments you already have
a good grasp of the matter.

As to your comments on resting brain state, you might find the following
interesting:

A default mode of brain function
PNAS u January 16, 2001  vol. 98 u no. 2

---

The "Bold Contrast" is an interesting assumption, addressed by the above
article(in the affirmative). I still have my doubts that the Bold Contrast
is always consistent, I suspect there will be circumstances where oxygen
demands may come very close if not exceed neural requirements. I also wonder
how this variation in oxygen availability varies with age. Even smoking
cigarettes, which increases haemoglobin, may have an impact. Don't know if
that has been looked into. A resting state, a brain doing nothing?

I agree with that fMRI needs to be approached with great caution. Great for
clinical purposes but as an instrument for hypothesis building it is already
loaded with many hypotheses. Like personality tests, fMRI results for any
individual can change over time. Unfortunately the images are beguiling and
while I trust that most in the research community are aware of the
limitations the public presentation of these findings is overly simplistic
and leads to all manner of strange ideas being bandied about. In my view we
would need much more discrete measures than these gross images. Phrenology
with coloured lights? Certainly but you'd be surprised how many fall down in
worship.

As to your speculations regarding the cause of increased blood flow, here's
a speculator. Nitric oxide. Required for NMDA via nNOS, can cross cell
membranes, and a vasodilator.

http://cognprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/archive/00001903/00/1.html
http://human-brain.org/replicability.html

news:4171033e at dnews.tpgi.com.au...