religion and the brain

Lester Zick lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 26 09:34:40 EST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:21:08 -0300, "Stargazer" <fuckoff at spammers.com>
in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:11:48 +0100, David Longley
>> <David at longley.demon.co.uk> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>>

>> > Human brains are also remarkably like rat brains which is one of the
>> > reasons why most neuroscience research is done on rats. Because
>> > rats and dogs are macrosmatic most visual neuroscience is done on
>> > frogs, cats or small primates. The key point to appreciate is that
>> > there are remarkable homologies between all higher animals when it
>> > comes to central nervous system anatomy and function and this is
>> > true not just of the mammals. The environment has shaped these
>> > homologies and differences just as it continues to shape behaviour.
>> > One has to look to homologies in anatomical structure and
>> > environmental pressures to understand brain-behaviour relations.
>>
>> So, we should look to homologies in brain structure between you and
>> rats to explain your behavior, David? If you say so.
>>
>> Regards - Lester
>
>That was quite humorous, Mr. Zick. I trust you will continue
>to entertain us with such witty answers. However, Mr Longley's
>answer was correct enough. But don't let that refrain your
>impulse of diminishing the grumpiness of this NG. Who knows
>I'll hang a bit more here, I love people with a sense of humour.
>
>*SG*

You know, SG, I would like to clarify my specific objection to David's
missive in a non humorous vein. His purpose in characterizing the
significance of anatomical homologies is the anthropomorphosis of
behavior in rats rather than the explanation of behavior in humans.
His claim is actually wrong in this regard and that's the point I was
attacking with my barb.

Regards - Lester