the liver and the brain

r norman rsn_ at _comcast.net
Wed Sep 1 21:34:53 EST 2004

On 1 Sep 2004 18:58:10 -0700, feedbackdroids at yahoo.com (dan michaels)
wrote:

>r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:<p81cj0dpssidqvd146ckens4c5hss9t0tb at 4ax.com>...
>

>> The evidence is quite clear.  There is good, hard experimental data to
>> prove that genetically determined motor pattern generating circuits do
>> exist in mammals in general and humans in particular.  There is also
>> good, hard experimental data to prove that experience and synaptic
>> modification is usually necessary to make these circuits function
>> appropriately to produce useful, responsive, and adaptive behavior in
>> the functioning organism.
>>

>Thanks for all the references. It'll take a while to get through them.
>Your summary doesn't help much, however, as it doesn't distinquish
>between ungulates which run within minutes of being born as compared
>to humans which take a year or so to make it to pokey walking. Off to
>the abstracts.

Not those particular two, a  rather unusual contrast.  However
Lossi et al has something close enough, saying: "In this study we have
investigated the histogenesis of the cerebellar cortex in guinea pig
(a precocial species) and rabbit (an altricial species) at different
stages of pregnancy and postnatal life."

I believe the key words you need are altricial and precocial which
describes exactly the difference you mention,  not ungulate and human.