the liver and the brain

Wolf Kirchmeir wwolfkir at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 2 09:13:34 EST 2004

P wrote:
> "r norman" <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:2qtbj091g9pre25dj91ra68dmf4vbjtq3a at 4ax.com...
>
>>The question is, are the specific neural circuits that produce infant
>>babbling almost completely genetically determined or does learning and
>>practice and use, all of which result in synaptic plasticity changes,
>>play a major part in producing the functional circuits?  I do not know
>>the answer.
>

> I suggest that you learn what the truth is by beginning to listening to a
> range of babies (e.g. Burmese, Brittish, Bengali, Basque, Bulgarian, and
> Berber) braking out into babble for the very first time and check to see if
> there as significant and consistent differences delineated by the different
> language into which they were born.
>
> I bet these babbles by babies sound exactly the same across the globe.
>
> I would be rather surprised if there were such detectable differences; And
> if they would turn out to exist, they may then still have been predetermined
> not by differences in DNA but by differences in a combination of
> epigenetically effective factors, such as e.g. diet.
>
> Peter F

Then studies I've read indicate that babies babble the same initially
(at a few weeks of age), but by about 6 months the babbling has begun to
change in then direction of the sounds of the language that they hear.
What's most interesting to me is that babies begine to acquire
"supra-segemental phonemes", aka intonation patterns, around the same
age. SSPs the cues to syntax, among other things.