the liver and the brain

Traveler traveler at nospam.com
Thu Sep 2 14:23:42 EST 2004

In article <aNudsENK12NBFwUm at longley.demon.co.uk>, David Longley
<David at longley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <j5oej0lbapom8t1kucncb927hbn2ivs4iq at 4ax.com>, Traveler
><traveler at nospam.com> writes
>>In article <zv63kZKYr1NBFwjh at longley.demon.co.uk>, David Longley
>><David at longley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I'll say it again - you are neglecting what research in neuroscience is
>>>and always has been dependent upon - the careful management and
>>>measurement of *behaviour*.
>>
>>If, by behavior, you mean the observable external behavior of the
>>organism whose nervous system is being examined, I have to disagree. A
>>lot of research in neuroscience is not at all dependent on external
>>behavior. Heck, a lot of it is conducted in vitro. But if you mean the
>>internal behavior (input/output, action potentials) of single neurons
>>or even cell assemblies, I agree that neuroscience is dependent on
>>behavior in this general sense of the term. But then again, very few
>>fields of science are exempt from this general rule.
>>
>>Louis Savain
>

>>Artificial Intelligence From the Bible:
>>http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Seven/bible.html
>>
>>The Silver Bullet or How to Solve the Software Crisis:
>>http://users.adelphia.net/~lilavois/Cosas/Reliability.htm
>
>You clearly (and arrogantly) don't understand (it isn't a matter of you
>agreeing or not). The 'in vitro' work is just as much an application of
>the extensional stance as the 'in vivo' behavioural work.

You are a shining example of folk psychology, Longley. Here is what
you wrote:

>I'll say it again - you are neglecting what research in neuroscience is
>and always has been dependent upon - the careful management and
>measurement of *behaviour*.

Don't wriggle your way out of it, you pompous ass. How are in vitro
experiments dependent on the measurement of behavior?

> On the other
>hand, the nonsense that you provide links to clearly is not.

Your opinion about my site matters to me because...?

>Try to grasp what's being said and learn from it rather than just
>idiotically presuming.

Try to write what you mean rather than just idiotically presuming that
people should read something other than what you write.

And one more thing, Longley. Pack it up your ass. :-D