the liver and the brain

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 16:38:47 EST 2004

>I'll say it again - you are neglecting what research in neuroscience is
>and always has been dependent upon - the careful management and
>measurement of *behaviour*.

T: If, by behavior, you mean the observable external behavior of the
organism whose nervous system is being examined, I have to disagree. A lot
of research in neuroscience is not at all dependent on external behavior.
Heck, a lot of it is conducted in vitro.

GS: A distinction is frequently made between neuroscience and its
subordinate category, behavioral neuroscience. Needless to say, behavioral
neuroscience generally involves the use of animals and
measurement/manipulation of their behavior as well as physiology. When you
consider the number of behavioral pharmacologists as well, then you have a
very large field. The number that do in vitro stuff only, or use animals as
"fuzzy beakers," is probably much larger than those who publish behavioral
data, or where behavioral manipulations are germane to the physiological
dependent variables. Maybe R. Norman has some idea on the proportions.

<snip>

news:j5oej0lbapom8t1kucncb927hbn2ivs4iq at 4ax.com...