the liver and the brain

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 20:26:47 EST 2004

"dan michaels" <feedbackdroids at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8d8494cf.0409030853.7911b8bf at posting.google.com...
> > >In contrast, since ungulates pop out into the world being able to walk
> > >and run within hours, I was also wondering that their visual systems
> > >might also be similarly advanced, as compard to humans and other
> > >animals like you mentioned. Do they have to "learn" what a lion looks,
> > >or might their visual systems already have some hard-coding regards
> > >this?

To come at this from a tangent, it is interesting to recall studies showing
how axons for varous senses, after injury, can end up projecting to regions
other than their "programmed" targets. Auditory axons will project to visual
areas, perhaps explaining the echo location noted in some blind individuals.
Not many studies on this but the few are surprising in their results.
Results such as these suggest a top down guidance of axonal projections, but
I'll freely admit I find that very spooky.

John.