the liver and the brain

dan michaels feedbackdroids at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 11:35:30 EST 2004

"John Hasenkam" <johnh at faraway.> wrote in message news:<41392480 at dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> "dan michaels" <feedbackdroids at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:8d8494cf.0409030853.7911b8bf at posting.google.com...
>
> To come at this from a tangent, it is interesting to recall studies showing
> how axons for varous senses, after injury, can end up projecting to regions
> other than their "programmed" targets. Auditory axons will project to visual
> areas, perhaps explaining the echo location noted in some blind individuals.
> Not many studies on this but the few are surprising in their results.
> Results such as these suggest a top down guidance of axonal projections, but
> I'll freely admit I find that very spooky.
>
> John.

You might be referring to studies in amphibians and ferrets, but this
doesn't address my question regards the level of development of
perceptual systems at the time of birth in precocial ungulates either,
does it.

It's a fairly interesting problem in its own right, since a baby zebra
has to be ready to flee from a lion shortly after birth, if it ever
wants to get to be an adult zebra. To flee from a lion, it might help
to be able to distinquish one from a parent zebra, so upon seeing its
own parent, it doesn't go running off into the jaws of the nearest
lion. I guess it's conceivable the adult zebra would be able to
"teach" its baby what a lion is in the first hour or so, or that the
baby learns on its own the first time a lion comes to eat it. Operant
conditioning rules, so long as the organism makes it through the first
day against something 10X its size and power, not to mention the big
teeth.