the liver and the brain

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 15:27:35 EST 2004

In article <4139f9ab.7231107 at netnews.att.net>, Lester Zick
<lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net> writes
>On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:16:34 +0100, David Longley
><David at longley.demon.co.uk> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>
>>In article <41392480 at dnews.tpgi.com.au>, John Hasenkam
>><johnh at faraway.?.invalid> writes
>>>
>>>"dan michaels" <feedbackdroids at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>news:8d8494cf.0409030853.7911b8bf at posting.google.com...
>>>
>>>To come at this from a tangent, it is interesting to recall studies showing
>>>how axons for varous senses, after injury, can end up projecting to regions
>>>other than their "programmed" targets. Auditory axons will project to visual
>>>areas, perhaps explaining the echo location noted in some blind individuals.
>>>Not many studies on this but the few are surprising in their results.
>>>Results such as these suggest a top down guidance of axonal projections, but
>>>I'll freely admit I find that very spooky.
>>>
>>>John.
>>>

>>What's even more "spooky" (although predictably so) is the far more
>>prevalent (and unquestionably demonstrable) empirical finding that
>>people (cf. Michaels, Zick, Ozkural, Legris, Savain, Navega etc as a
>>small but sadly representative, sample) make the "connections" that they
>>do make - *and yet fail to make far more useful and reliable others*.
>>
>>What should attract more interest than it does is the fact that people,
>>as a rule, so tenaciously hold onto, and mutually reinforce their naive
>>intensional heuristics or prejudices despite abundant (*extensional*)
>>evidence to repudiate or replace them.
>>
>>How people align themselves in their public responses to the above
>>assertion can, I suggest, be taken as a fair, pragmatic & extensional
>>indicator of their scientific acumen.
>
>This is hardly remarkable, David, whether for the reasons you cite or
>because the people involved think they are correct. You fail to note,
>however, that you are in exactly the same category as those you
>stigmatize and chastize. You fail to explain why your own verbal
>behavior is any more original and less slavishly imitative than that
>of others. You're a behaviorist. That's the bottom line. We already
>knew that. And nothing you've said so far has shed any light on the
>subject of behavior as defined by behaviorism as a first cause.
>
>Regards - Lester

No Zick, you presumptuous, irritating thought-disordered troll-idiot.

Whilst what I said most certainly *does* apply to me, a less
presumptuous, less thought-disordered, more attentive and astute
individual than yourself would surely have grasped from the available
evidence, that there's a fundamental, and importantly *relevant*
difference. Unlike you, I've spent over thirty years doing research, and
therefore, relative to you (and some of the other presumptuous idiots
with uninformed critical opinions here) it's *therefore* more likely
that I've got something more informed and worth paying attention to
*relative to* some others posting here on these matters.

Whether or not I'm a behaviourist really is quite besides the point.
That you along with some of the other ignorant troll-twits here have
such a hard time grasping that *in spite of the evidence*, is why I say
you're a presumptuous, irritating thought-disordered troll-idiot.

Happier now you've been fed <g>?
--
David Longley