First Causes

patty pattyNO at SPAMicyberspace.net
Mon Sep 6 12:19:35 EST 2004

Lester Zick wrote:
>                                            First Causes
>                                                   -----
>
> There are three main streams of metaphysics in the west: the ancient,
> the classical religious, and Darwinian branch of evolution and natural
> selection. There are undoubtedly others, but at least these three try
> to analyze the nature of man in scientific or quasi scientific terms.
>
> The ancient branch of metaphysics was laid down by Aristotle who
> defined metaphysics as the study of being qua being and a prime mover
> unmoved as the first cause of everything. Classical religious dogma
> kept the metaphysics and merely replaced the prime mover unmoved by
> god, viewing metaphysics and science as extensions of the intentions
> of god according to holy writ.
>
> And in perhaps the penultimate chapter in the epistemological
> revolution characterizing the post renaissance natural science,
> Charles Darwin redefined man not according to ancient or classical
> religious assumptions regarding animal, man, and god but according
> to biological linkage between man and animals instead, thus relegating
> metaphysics to the study of evolution of species and the idea of
> evolution as a first cause.
>
> What's noteworthy in all three instances, however, is that no one ever
> proved anything regarding first causes. Aristotle's first cause, the
> prime mover unmoved was simply an imaginary construct, as was god.
> The ideas of a prime mover unmoved and god were merely forensic
> devices without mechanical support.
>
> Evolution, on the other hand, certainly had evidentiary mechanical
> support in the origin of species, but nothing in the origin of species
> says definitely what a first cause is of necessity. Evolution and
> natural selection themselves are ideas predating Darwin's connection
> of them to the origin of species. Biological speciation might be a
> vehicle of natural selection. But that doesn't mean it is the only
> possible vehicle of natural selection, evolution, or the necessary
> first cause of everything.
>
> In other words, the biological origin of species could be true without
> proving the direct connection of man to animal in mechanical terms.
> Evolution could just as easily provide the transition from animal to
> man just as between plant and animal. And we would still be left with
> the distinct and separate categories however they originated. Darwin
> proved there was no supernatural or divine intervention needed in the
> mechanical transition. But he did not prove there was no transition.
>
> The only cause which supplies its own proof as first cause is the idea
> of differences and cognates of differences: negation, contradiction,
> not, etc. and that principle compounded in terms of itself. Neither
> Aristotle's prime mover unmoved nor god is proven of itself. Nor are
> evolution and the natural selection of species proven with respect to
> the categories and transitions between the categories.

> [...]

Oh yes, yes, yes !  "If there were no differences, well then everything
would be the same" ...  so simple ... so beautiful ... The First Cause
indeed! ... even a baby can understand it now!  Isn't it so very
surprising that it took three thousand years of Western Civilization
before Lester Zick came along and told us about it?

Sigh

patty