First Causes

Paul Victor Birke nonlinear at rogers.com
Wed Sep 8 16:40:50 EST 2004

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:49:33 +0200, usenet01 at out-of-phase.de (Christian
> Wilms) in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:
>

>>Lester Zick <lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Paul - I got the alist from the liver and onions thread which
>>>seemed to produce some interesting conversation.
>>
>>Among other topics on the unappropriateness of cross posting.
>>

>>>However, if algorithm
>>>and number crunching persons already know everything they need to know
>>>to produce ai, far be it from me to impede product development. When
>>>does the rollout take place? On the other hand, if you aren't actually
>>>prepared for imminent product rollout, perhaps you should regard a
>>>little more seriously those endeavors of which you are not so serious.
>>
>>With all due respect, but people interested in the philosophical side of
>>AI will subscribe to c.a.p.
>>
>>The same goes for b.n: neuroscientests interested in the philosophical
>>implications will read the appropriate groups as well. It tends to get
>>annoying if people just crosspost there philosophical ramifications into
>>any group which "just might fit".
>

> So, as I understand it, ai product rollout isn't scheduled for anytime
> in the near or distant future and you'd prefer not to understand why.

Dear Lester

It is not clear why you are harping on this as I suspect we are far from
perfect in this somewhat infant science.
Clearly the practical results of AI could be better.
However, there are many authors with products and methods that are
available commercially.  IMHO there are many others that work rather
well are not >>rolled out<< for every day viewing, here the military is
a good example or someone who has truly found a time series predictor
for the market.  These methods remain hidden from most of us but
nonetheless may be very important milestones but for reasons noted above
may never be heard about.

I suspect we derive our inspiration and motivation (as the
mathematicians amongst us would like to say from a number of sources.

It is again not clear to me and I suspect to a number of my colleagues
how your subject area enters into this framework.  Perhaps I am wrong here.

I also cannot speak for other AI persons who indeed may enjoy your
suppositions.  I can only say that many of our approaches are
algorithmic in nature.

Paul