Craniotomy/Apasia creating loss of fluency in one language, but not another?

John Hasenkam johnh at faraway.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 20:11:16 EST 2004

Michael Paradis is the chap to look for, he has done a lot of work on this.
You need to do searches on "alternating aphasia". It is a very interesting
and mysterious phenomenon.

PDF] The neurocognition of recovery patterns in bilingual aphasics
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... patients can access only one of their language in spontaneous speech for
alternating
periods of time (Nilipour & Ashayeri, 1989; Paradis, Goldblum & Abidi, 1982
www.psyc.bbk.ac.uk/people/ academic/thomas_m/Green_Neurocogrec04.pdf -
Similar pages

Nilipour, R. 1989. " Bilingual aphasia in Iran: a preliminary report",
JOURNAL OF NEUROLINGUISTICS, NO. 3, 185-232.

[PDF] Bilingualism and the Brain
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... are a number of other explanations for these data (see Paradis 1996 and
... increase
in the number of cross-language errors in the alternating condition relative
crl.ucsd.edu/bates/papers/pdf/ from-meiti/32-Hernandez-Bates%20MIT.pdf -
Similar pages

--
John Hasenkam
"Instead, religious ideas often deal with unexplained and unexplainable

Sami Pihlström & Heikki J. Koskinen
Department of Philosophy, University of Helsinki

"Hector" <nomail at thanks.net> wrote in message
news:50v0k0da1ok0cjs60n8fq2cmjdaeu6lbce at 4ax.com...

> Thank you very much John, I really appreciate your reply and am
> anxious to see any other material you may have on the subject, which
> is very important to me.
>

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:03:43 +1000, "John Hasenkam" <johnh at faraway.>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, there are cases of varying asphasia in individuals, I even have one
> >reference where a bilingual individual will involuntarily start speaking
in
> >his second language. Have some refs on this in my archives, will dig up
in a
> >few days and post.
> >

> >John.
> >
> >09/09/04 10:02AM
> >
> >> An unusual case of sundown syndrome subsequent to a
> >> traumatic head injury.
> >>
> >> Duckett S, Scotto M.
> >>
> >> Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital, Malvern, PA 19355.
> >>
> >> An unusual case of sundown syndrome is here reported, in > which a
> >bilingual patient would involuntarily change > languages at sunset.
Numerous
> >theories have been advanced > in attempting to account for sundowning.
> >Cameron has > suggested that nocturnal delirium was based on an >
inability
> >to maintain a spatial image without the > assistance of repeated
> >visualization. Kral and Wolanin > and Phillips have argued for a more
> >psychogenic account, > by stating that psychosocial stressors may, in
> >concert > with impaired cognitive functioning, account for > sundowning.
The