First Causes

Lester Zick lesterDELzick at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 12 10:47:17 EST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:47:32 GMT, Paul Victor Birke
<nonlinear at rogers.com> in comp.ai.philosophy wrote:

>OK Lester, slowly absorbing your comments!
>
>thanks
>
>Paul
>
>PS  If I could just say you are arguing that a change is by definition a
>difference and the first change as it were must therefore be a delta or
>difference in its essential form.  If this too crude a summary?
>
>Paul

Hi Paul -

It's hard to agree or disagree. Differences certainly result in change
and all change originates in differences. But if we rely on change in
conventional terms to define differences, we may well exclude other
aspects of differences which do not necessarily result in change. I'm
thinking here of apparently static differences which define space, for
example.

The fact is that we don't actually know that all differences result in
change, and the analysis of differences on that basis alone is too
simplistic. What we know and can prove is that differences in the form
of contradiction, negation, and not are the foundation of everything
whatever they may mean in dynamic terms of change.

Part of the problem is that there are different words in the language
that all refer to the general idea of differences but do so in various
seemingly unrelated ways. I'm uncomfortable adding further notions to
the mix if avoidable, and ideas like first change or delta seem to add
unnecessary complexity. Where needed for simplicity, I just use the
symbol "-" to denote differences in the sense of contradiction, not,
or negation.

Regards - Lester