minature inhibitor postsynaptic currents

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 17:53:17 EST 2004

r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in
news:fe3jk0pqdu9ga3er6vmjq8b2gvoc8g288a at 4ax.com:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:39:30 GMT, BilZ0r
> <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What is minature about mIPSCs? I assume just the amplitude, but there
>>must be something about their nature that makes them different from
>>regular evoked and/or sponatneous IPSCs.
>
> mIPSCs, just like mIPSPs or mEPSPs, are presumed to be the response to
> the spontaneous release of single vesicles at a synapse.  Regular
> evoked responses (current or potential, excitatory or inhibitory) are,
> as described, evoked ordinarily by an action potential arriving at the
> presynaptic terminal and are not miniature because they ordinarily
> result from the simultaneous release of many vesicles.
>
> Mini's are spontaneous.  The original discovery by Katz was of
> "spontaneous miniature potentials".  They are usually called minis
> rather than sponties.

Thank you very much, so minature potentiatals would always be of the same
size? So agonists at presynaptic receptors which inhibit calcium
channels, would effect the rate of minature potentials, but not there
amplitude, while the same agonist would effect the rate and amplitude of
spontaneous potentials?