Signature omitted from previous post. Please append.

Peter F fell_trapforspambot_in at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 17 18:58:55 EST 2004

"Peter F" <fell_trapforspambot_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:EWV1d.153$FI5.5872 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "JPL Verhey" <matterDELminds at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4146f327$0$62373$5fc3050 at dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
>
> > I agree that social cohesion and communication is a big player, als in
> > our emotions, thoughts and behavior. We wouldn't be, and as we are,
> > without it. But that is also and even more so true in an ants nest.
>
> There are some differences between ants and humans, too; differencers that
> ought not be
> ignored IMHO. ;-)
>
> > But it's a hard guess what "ants consciousness" would be. In my next
life
> > I'll try being an ant.:)
>
> Me think its better if you try being a "single individual ant-colony"
rather
> than a single ant, since the former is an organism that operates closer to
> the level and degree of complex functionality and mass of coordinated
> cellular componentry (respectively so to speak) that a brain (or nervous
> system or
> brain-body system) of a fully developed and functionally intact adult
human
> individual operates at. :-)
>

> A have spotted (and been more or less willing to swallow) different
> hypotheses and theories about what consciousness is. Some of these I feel
> are worthy of being patched together as legitimate partial
> descriptions of what consciousness is, or ought to be thought to be.
(Ought
> [...]
>
> One unusually meaty (and tasty) interpretation I have come across is
> O'Regan's and Noë's "Sensorimotor
> Contingencies" (theory).
>
> Another, complementary, view of 'the big and slippery C' is so simple and
> basic
> that it has no name. However, it has nevertheless indirectly been given
> pride of theoretical place by some of the world's most prominent brain
> scientists/authors --  not the least by Alexandr R. Luria in chapter 2 of
> his book "The Working Brain, An Introduction to Neuropsychology".
>
> It is merely to do with the well-known "neuropsychophysiological" reality
> of "reticular activating type" (or "RAT") neurons.
>
> ------------------------------
> [RAT is a S_EPT_IC humored attribute, advocated by the acronym-adoring
> author of EPT.
>
> The signature attached at the end of this post reflects an attempt to cram
> into a tight digital space (word-count limit imposed by Microsoft) as much
> of an account for what EPT is as that space allows, or more. This is why I
> now warn you that when I wrote that signature I had to be *even more
cruel*
> to the English language than I normally am.%-}]
> ---------------------------------
>
> RAT neurons is a legacy of the first to have evolved type of
> "neuroelectrically" active cellls.
>
> They evolved during the comparatively sedately life-styled early phase in
> the phylogeny of fauna. And
> so, there is not much of a coincidence that the main location of the somas
> of RAT neurons are located at the basal and core regions of the brain.
>
> Only when the era of predation had started, and began to hot up, did the
> phylogeny of
> fauna 'feel' the evolutionary (selective) pressure that made it 'respond'
by
> emerging and accumulating an increasingly greater proportion of rapidly
> responding/signal-transmitting, phasically activated and relatively
> specifically projecting, neurons. [For want of a suitably silly - RAT
> matching - name, "specific neuron(s)" might suffice for any roughly RAT
> neuron contrasting neuron.]
>
> RAT neurons provide (by their firing) the _essential "energizing" (or
tonic)
> ingredient_
> of (most generally considered) the 'brainspacetime patterns" that are (of)
> *WHAT*
> the three gross levels (or sequentially ontogenetically expressed
> functionally specialized neuroanatomical "layers"), motivational modes,
> specific sensory feature-detecting contents, and intensities, of (the)
> Consciousness (of hence differently conscious animals of differnet and
same
> species) *IS*.
>
> I hope I have provided at least a small reminder about that we (perhaps
even
> I ;) normally use the 'Consciousness-concept' very sloppily and

Partly inspired by MAD (cold war shaming acronym), I arrived at EPT
[e.g: eclectically Explanatory perversely Pert
philosophical Terminology] and by concEPTual lenses/tools saw/grasped how
and why AEVASIVE preoccupations (personalites) normally preclude making
in-dEPTh sense (of themselves).
In the acronym for Ambiadvantageously Evolved Vexed Actention
Selection (System) Involving Various Endorphins, AS(S) stand for how we
think/emote/behave based on our individual repertoire of competing {by
mutual inhibition) whilst cheered and booed {by current and past
environmental influences) "actention modules", & AE refer to the didactic
division of the Evolutionary Pressure Totality into relevant dialectic
lifetime juxtapositions of:
1. Opportunity
2. Adversity - here especially SHITS [Synaptic Hibernation Imploring
{naturally selective AND 'motivating' of selective unconsciousness)
Traumatic {also tardily so) Situations] normally repercussively retained as
CURSES type memory (aka "Pain", à la Janov)