No subject

Sun Apr 10 20:44:55 EST 2005

Societies" the "assassins" were a major power well after Marco Polo's voyage.
In fact, from what I gather, the assassins were a major power during the
crusades & this interaction of cultures is where we get out information on
this interesting group.
Also, his account agrees with "Polo's" (If indeed Marco Polo did give an
account of them; I thought Polo went to china...). Seems to me that the
history of the Assassins is pretty well verified..

>Given that Polo's account is heresay built upon heresay, coupled with
>the fact that Hassan and his group were heretics during a time when
>heretics were demonized -- but what else is new -- it is quite likely
>that the stories were pure fabrications and myths that were used to
>validate the widespread view that the Hassan cult was composed of
>depraved and degraded people.  Think of it as being similar to the
>stories of Jews using the blood of gentile babies in their rituals
>or the modern variant of "Satanists" -- so-called -- using the blood
>of babies in theirs.

-Scott