No subject

Sun Apr 10 20:48:08 EST 2005

anything more complicated) it is quite tricky to get good single unit
recordings. However, I expect that with a well equiped lab and a bit of
experience, it could be done fairly routinely.

You didn't say what kind of electrodes you were using... suction, hook, or
some other ? From the description of your preparation, I suspect that your
recordings are very much cleaner than those achieveable with metal
microelectrodes.

Just as an aside... if you're studying the clustering of sensory afferents
within the dorsal roots, I would be very interested in any results that you
have....

Hmmm.... I seem to have digressed a little from my original question; about
the problems involved in operating on the dorsal roots to implant electrodes.
Hope the diversion has been interesting, though.

Danny.

References (typed in very quickly):

A Prochazka, RA Westerman, SP Ziccone. (1976). "Discharges of Single Hindlimb
Afferents in the Freely Moving Cat", J. Neurophysiol, 39, p1090-1104.

GE Loeb, MJ Bak, J Duysens. (1977). "Long-Term Unit Recording from
Somatosensory Neurons in the Spinal Ganglia of the Freely Walking Cat",
Science, 197, p1192-1194.

GE Loeb, JA Hoffer, CA Pratt. (1985). "Activity of Spindle Afferents from Cat
Anterior Thigh Muscles. I. Identification and Patterns Durning Normal
Locomotion", J. Neurophysiol, 54 (3), p549-564.

E Knutsson, L Widen. (1967). "Impulses from Single Nerve Fibres Recorded in
Man using Microelectrodes", Nature, London, 213 (Feb 11, 1967), p606-607.

KE Hagbarth, AB Vallbo. (1969). "Single Unit Recordings from Muscle Nerves
in Human Subjects", Acta Physiol. Scand., 76, p321-344.

AB Vallbo. (1972). "Single Unit Recording from Human Peripheral Nerves: Muscle
Receptor Discharge in Resting Muscles and During Voluntary Contractions", In:
_Neurophysiology Studied in Man_, GG Somjen (ed), Amsterdam, p283-297.

Danny Banks.				 		 eep1db at ee.surrey.ac.uk