No subject

Sun Apr 10 20:48:35 EST 2005

1) Loss of coherence.
2) Paramnesia (incorrect recollection, as distinct from failure to recollect).
3) Paraphasia (incorrect speaking with word substitution and jumbling
   of phrases which make speech untintelligible, but not the inability
   to speak).
4) Jargon production.
5) Inattention to environmental stimuli.
6) Disturbances of writing.
7) Denial of illness.
8) Playful behavior.

I think I have noticed syndrome number 4 in many of my colleagues. :)

> Do you think what you said could be applied to the states of confusion
> various drugs seem to produce on a person?

Beats the heck out of me.

I wonder if there is a way to temporarily disconnect the two
hemispheres by suppressing nerve conduction in the corpus callosum.
It would probably have to be invasive -- implanted electrodes or a
cannula to infuse some nerve-deadening drug.  If it were sufficiently
benign and could be left in place, it might become a new Yuppie toy.
"I'm going to split my brain now so that each half can work on the
Johnson account separately.  Hold my calls."

If the device could be triggered by other electrodes that detect onset
of an epileptic episode in the cortex, it might make commissurotomies
unnecessary, and not disrupt a patient's normal brain function between
episodes.

> If you do not have the source handy, perhaps you could provide the reference
> so I may look it up myself the next time I pass by the U.C.S.F. medical
> library. The sources from your previous post consisted entirely of
> Oliver Sacks.

Geschwind, N. and Levitsky, W. (1968) 'Human brain: left-right
    asymmetries in temporal speech region,' Science, 161, 186-7.

Geschwind, N. (1982) 'Disorders of attention: a frontier in
     neuropsychology,' Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society
     (London), B298, 173-85.

> Thanks,
> 	Noah
> 	noah at cats.ucsc.edu

You're welcome,
Bill Park
=========
--
Grandpaw Bill's High Technology Consulting & Live Bait, Inc.