No subject

Sun Apr 10 20:51:24 EST 2005

> i'm interested in anti-phosphotyrosine or serine antibodies. has
> anybody used them to look at membrane-associated proteins from
> neuronal growth cones ? if so, i would like like to get references
> is it possible to use these abs in in situ immunolocalization ?

I would direct you to a couple of recent articles on this subject:

	Wu, D.-Y. and Goldberg, D.J. (1993) Regulated tyrosine
	phosphorylation at the tips of growth cone filopodia.
	J. Cell Biol. 123:653-664.  (Nov. 1993)

	Atashi, J.R. et al. (1992) Neural cell adhesion molecules
	modulate tyrosine phosphorylation of tubulin in nerve
	growth cone membranes.  Neuron 8:831-842.  (May 1992)

Note that the tubulin in the Atashi et al. study is *membrane-
associated* (pretty interesting).  In fact, some of the co-authors
of this study had previously reported that tubulin (alpha and
beta) is phosphorylated on tyrosine residues by pp60c-src
in growth cone membranes (J. Cell Biol. 111:1959-1970).
The Atashi et al. paper reports that tubulins are the major
phosphoproteins labelled by radioactive ATP in untreated
growth-cone enriched membranes.

> i know that there are tons of phosphoproteins in a cell but maybe
> there are certain stringent adsorption conditions that would give
> very specific immunolocalization signals ?

Wu and Goldberg seem to have accomplished this.
--

Steve Matheson   Program in Neuroscience   University of Arizona
sfm at neurobio.arizona.edu