No subject

Sun Apr 10 21:02:18 EST 2005

> Hello, can anybody give me a source of the DNA Promotorsequence
> of microtubule-associated protein tau in rat or human. Up to now
> I only got the cDNA sequence, but I urgently need the Promotorsequence.

[lifted from MEDLINE]

Authors
  Andreadis A
  Brown WM
  Kosik KS
Institution
  Department of Neurology (Neuroscience), Harvard Medical School, Boston,
  Massachusetts.
Title
  Structure and novel exons of the human tau gene.
Source
  Biochemistry.  31(43):10626-33, 1992 Nov 3.
Abstract
  The microtubule-binding protein tau is important in establishing and
  maintaining neuronal morphology and is a major component of the
  neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) characteristic of Alzheimer's brain. The
  neuron-specific tau transcript undergoes complex alternative splicing. The
  human tau gene has been cloned and mapped. The restriction analysis and
  partial sequencing of the gene shows that it contains (1) four
  alternatively spliced exons previously described in rodent and bovine but
  not in human tau cDNAs and (2) two CpG islands, one associated with the
  promoter region, the other with exon 9. Examination of human tau mRNA
  indicates that the human cerebrocortical splicing pattern differs from
  that previously reported for the murine and bovine tau mRNAs, despite
  conserved exon organization in all three genes.
--

Steve Matheson   Program in Neuroscience   University of Arizona
sfm at neurobio.arizona.edu