No subject

Sun Apr 10 21:03:35 EST 2005

instruction, as well as internships through the ER's, cardiology units,
SICU, MICU, and CICU.  Respiratory and cardiac emergencies are a priority
in their training.  All ambulances are equipped with the cardiac drugs
used in the AHA/ECC ACLS guidelines, as well as some additional medications
that are not in the AHA/ECC guidelines.  In addition, we carry an
assortment of respiratory and associated medications (Theophylline,
Lasix, etc.).  Also meds such as Narcan and other antagonists are carried.

>When the ambulance arrives according to witness reports they take a very
>long time to get the patient into the ambulance. One witness claims that
>this takes around 30 minutes. There is a delay of approximately three to
>four minutes during which timne the emergency personnel are looking for
>the patient's identification documents (despite the fact that two persons
>at the location know the patient well).

30 minutes seems unreasonable, and I would hope that the witness was caught
up in the stress of the situation, and that it only "seemed" like 30 minutes.
A review of dispatch tapes should confirm actual on-scene time.  I would
expect my Paramedics to be on-scene less than 10 minutes, with airway and
respiratory management initiated immediately.  If the by-standers relating
history to the Paramedics are reliable (friends, relatives) accept their
history, look for evidence to confirm the story (pill bottles, etc.) while
treating the aptient, load and go.

Hope this helps.  I would be interested in hearing from other services
regarding this scenario.

J.E. Peters, Jr., NREMT-P
Asst. Professor
Emergency Medical Technology, UTHSCSA