No subject

Sun Apr 10 21:05:06 EST 2005

"The segment of the MHC that has genes affecting reproduction also has
genes associated with different autoimmune diseases, and this
juxtaposition may explain the association between reproductive defects
and autoimmune diseases."

Friends in the HS communities and I have discussed the seeming higher rates
of autoimmune illnesses among fHS and mHS. (here not talking AIDS).

The authors of the prior quote could have phrased their conclusion:

"the association between reproductive defects, varieties of sexual
expression, and autoimmune diseases."

A key word in their quote is "association" -- because among 10,000 fHS
and mHS, only some would have autoimmune diseases. My long percolating
hunch is that a subset of these individuals may well have an MHC-based
variation that manifested as crossed sexual orientation.

I'm convinced that other causes (ie not only MHC "stuff") will be found; and
"association" does not
disprove causality in a subset of the autoimmune-HS subset; in seeking
genetic roots, there may be a number of molecular substrates that as
identified become realized as displaying "association".

RE: GnRH migration through vomeronasal/olfactory routes toward the
forebrain:

Do you think about proteoglycans, hyaluronan, hyaluronic acid, arachadonic
acid, etc? As we follow the trail of the olfactory placode's GnRH
migration and interactions with surrounding tissues, NCAM and various
parts of the extracellular matrix seem to be key players.

Regarding S/O and/or G/O, any of these "players" could become
dysregulated and modify development (in utero and/or later) of otherwise
hetero sexuality/genderality.

Teresa