No subject

Sun Apr 10 21:24:01 EST 2005

The human mind is facile and agile, but mastery of new challenges does not
compell a need for increased intellectual ability.  As I pound the keyboard
of my Mac trying to interface my old worn preamplifiers and stimulus
isolation units to create instrumentation for a neurosciences laboratory, I
still cannot get my VCR to record the X-Files. Had I children perhaps they
would handle the VCR end of things, but more likely they would tape
something else just to tick me off...kids these days.

Maybe if I were smart enough to use a PentiumPC, things would be different.
If anyone wants the movie rights to my life they will have to pay my
mastercard bill first.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

rlh

>Richard Hall <rhall at uvi.edu> wrote:
>> I doubt the human brain will evolve into a more intelligent form since
>> there is very little selection pressure for more intellect.
>
>Scott Schofield<sl.schofield at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Socratic dialogue - No serious challenge intended.
>
>Actually, there may be selective pressure for more intelligence.
>The technological revolution requires that people become more and
>more educated / skilled just to get the jobs that will put food in
>their bellies and a roof over their heads. It is now very
>competitive and I see it becoming more so. Those who can't compete
>will be at a disadvantage to successfully raise the average number
>of offspring who are healthy and educated enough to themselves
>compete.
>
>The question is really whether there will exist selective pressure
>against the less intelligent. I hope not. In the United States, our
>social programs are designed so as to prevent this. As long as we
>are willing to continue to listen to the moral conscience
>genetically hard-coded into our altruistic minds, I imagine we will
>remain stuck.
>

>Stuck and Happy,
>Scott

Richard Hall