Terri Schiavo Question

Darwin darwin at beagle.net
Fri Apr 1 01:38:23 EST 2005

"Jason" <jason at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-3103051644470001 at pm4-broad-15.snlo.dialup.fix.net...
> In article <424c32b7$0$4644$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>, "Darwin"
> <darwin at beagle.net> wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > at least Terri Schiavo's personal tragedy is over.  Now the wrongful
death
> > suit can begin.
> >
> > I think the husband absolutely did the right thing to allow her to die
when
> > it was clear to him there was no hope left.  Of course, an overdose of
> > anesthetic should have been administered long ago.  The parents, on the
> > other hand, seem to have wanted the WORST situation, where she would be
> > aware of the state she was living in.  That's just about the most cruel
> > thing I can think of.  I don't blame the husband for not wanting the
parents
> > at her bedside at death if that's the situation they were hoping for.  I
> > hope the person I named as Power of Attorney over my medicial decisions
will
> > be as compassionate has Michael Schiavo was.
> >

> > "habshi" <habshi at anony.com> wrote in message
> > news:424bd4df.3677277 at news.clara.net...
> > > >
> > > She can't swallow.<
> > >
> > > Water is absorbed through the tongue as with a gtn spray
> > > >

> He did not allow her to die. The judges forced her to starve to death. If
> you locked your dog or cat in a room and did not feed the cat or dog for
> three weeks--you would be arrested and placed in jail for animal abuse.
> They done the exact same thing to Terri. A man in my town was recently
> arrested and placed in jail because he had about one dozen really skinny
> horses on his property that he owned.

I think you're quite right.  She should not have had to starve to death.
Ideally, she should have been able to receive an overdose of anesthetic long
ago but that's illegal.  The husband and doctors therefore were forced to
use the only means they had available to them.  The laws should be changed
to allow more humane methods of euthanasia.