Terri Schiavo Question

MZ zarellam at removetwcny.rr.comspam
Fri Apr 1 13:45:20 EST 2005

> He did not allow her to die. The judges forced her to starve to death. If
> you locked your dog or cat in a room and did not feed the cat or dog for
> three weeks--you would be arrested and placed in jail for animal abuse.

This is always brought up as some sort of argument to attempt to portray
Terri as lower than a dog in their eyes.  Or whatever the effect is.  But
it's quite clear that such laws regarding animal cruelty are hypocritical at
best, and should be stricken from the books.  What's done to cows or pigs
for making our sandwiches is sometimes far worse than starving the animal,
yet it's not only allowed - it's encouraged (sometimes through subsidies).
So, even though your point may be that Terri should be given the "rights" of
these animals (the difference, of course, was that Terri couldn't perceive
the pain that the animals can perceive), I'd counter that the animals
shouldn't be given any rights in this regard.