Terri Schiavo Question

MZ zarellam at removetwcny.rr.comspam
Fri Apr 1 15:58:14 EST 2005

> I understand your point of view. My point was that a human should have
> more rights than dogs and cats. You mentioned that Terri could not
> perceive pain. Neither you or I or anyone else knows whether or not Terri
> could percieve pain. We can only guess. I have fasted for 24 hours and did
> experience pain--I drunk plenty of water. I have seen a cat that appeared
> to be in terrible pain related to being hungry or in need of water. The
> cat appeared to be in pain. It's my guess that Terri did experience pain.
> Her parents told the news media that she appeared to be in pain. It's my
> guess that she was in pain.

When I said she couldn't experience pain, I wasn't saying that the process
of hunger didn't produce pain.  I was saying that her brain was not capable
of producing a conscious representation for pain.  You're right that we
don't know for a fact whether or not she was able to generate this sort of
response to pain.  But an educated guess was made by the physicians treating
her that she was unable to do so, based upon the extent of her injuries.  If
the line that her "cortex had disintegrated beyond usefulness" is indeed
true, then it's probably a safe assumption.