Terri Schiavo Question

Jeff kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 18:23:24 EST 2005

"Jason" <jason at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:jason-0104051207390001 at pm4-broad-48.snlo.dialup.fix.net...
> In article <Csednc-GjsIfCtDfRVn-vg at giganews.com>, "MZ"
> <zarellam at removetwcny.rr.comspam> wrote:
>
>> > He did not allow her to die. The judges forced her to starve to death.
>> > If
>> > you locked your dog or cat in a room and did not feed the cat or dog
>> > for
>> > three weeks--you would be arrested and placed in jail for animal abuse.
>>
>> This is always brought up as some sort of argument to attempt to portray
>> Terri as lower than a dog in their eyes.  Or whatever the effect is.  But
>> it's quite clear that such laws regarding animal cruelty are hypocritical
>> at
>> best, and should be stricken from the books.  What's done to cows or pigs
>> for making our sandwiches is sometimes far worse than starving the
>> animal,
>> yet it's not only allowed - it's encouraged (sometimes through
>> subsidies).
>> So, even though your point may be that Terri should be given the "rights"
>> of
>> these animals (the difference, of course, was that Terri couldn't
>> perceive
>> the pain that the animals can perceive), I'd counter that the animals
>> shouldn't be given any rights in this regard.
>
> I understand your point of view. My point was that a human should have
> more rights than dogs and cats. You mentioned that Terri could not
> perceive pain. Neither you or I or anyone else knows whether or not Terri
> could percieve pain. We can only guess. I have fasted for 24 hours and did
> experience pain--I drunk plenty of water. I have seen a cat that appeared
> to be in terrible pain related to being hungry or in need of water. The
> cat appeared to be in pain. It's my guess that Terri did experience pain.
> Her parents told the news media that she appeared to be in pain. It's my
> guess that she was in pain.

She may or may not have been in pain. I can't really tell. The parts of the
cortex that are needed  for true consciousness of pain were gone.

The way her  muscles were contracted, I would not be surprised that, if she
could feel pain, she was in pain from the contractures. If she was leading
any type of life, it must have been a miserable life.

And it was her wish that she not be kept alive artificially.

Jeff