The Necessary Cognitive Adjustment

kenneth collins kenneth.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 2 03:15:20 EST 2005

news:2Z7Ld.42776$8u5.261 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| [...]

| Really, [...], as "unseemly" as it might seem :-]
| NDT is the Neuroscience "equivalent" of
| Newton's work in Natural Philosophy.
|
| It changes everything just as Newton's work
| did.
|
| Just as Newton knew what he'd accomplished,
| so do I. And just as Newton had no reason to
| "fall-back" to the former, non-working stuff,
| neither do I.
| [...]

I tried to be "humble" in conveying this in AoK's
"Abstract" [which was removed from the hyper-
text version of the doc because folks in Neuro-
science didn't get it], and, again, in Ap10.

Here's the "Abstract" [It's written as one big
"paragraph" because I wanted to cram as much
as I could into the "photo box" of the Confer-
ence Proceedings]:

"A 'Gravitational' Analogue, Extant within All
Central Nervous Systems, is Responsible for
the Phenomenon of Prejudice.

I have discovered that prejudiced behavior,
including all territoriality, is manifested ubi-
quitously by humans because a fundamental,
gravity-like dynamic rigorously attracts, to
itself, all information processing that occurs
within central nervous systems. This gravity-
like dynamic conforms to the laws of thermo-
dynamics, permeates central nervous systems
at all phylogenetic levels, and has analogues
at phylogenetic levels where no central
nervous systems exist. Non-specifically-
ordered neural architecture remains primarily
uncrossed throughout the central nervous
system, while specifically-ordered neural
architecture crosses from one side of the
body to the other, depending on the level
of the central nervous system. The single
rule that governs all of the neural-impulse
interaction that occurs between the non-
specific and the specific neural architec-
tures is that the sum of the topologically-
distributed ratios of excitation to inhibition
within the integrated, nonspecific and
specific, neural architecture must be min-
imized, relatively.

compactly: [SUM](TD E/I)[(down)]

The domain of this unifying principle in-
cludes the geometry (topology) of the
neuroanatomical "twists" and "turns"
that exist within the central nervous sys-
tem. A low-level example of the reality
described by this unifying principle is
seen in the converse reactions of the
head and body to noxious stimulation.
The head orients away from pain to the
face, but toward pain to the body. This
occurs because the uncrossed spinal
trigeminal tract, which conveys pain
from the face, and the crossed spino-
thalamic tract, which conveys pain from
the body, are mapped in topologically-
inverse fashions with respect to the
nonspecific [[SUM](TD E/I)[(down)]]
 neural architecture of the reticular
formation and the specific, totally-in-
hibitory [[SUM](TD E/I)[(down)]]
outputs of the cerebellum. The prob-
lem of avoiding noxious stimulation is
of infinitely-large scope because nox-
ious stimulation can come from any
direction in the environment. "Know-
ledge" of how the effectors must be
activated to solve this infinitely-large
problem is contained within this
[SUM](TD E/I)[(down)] neural
architecture. I have discovered that
the same [SUM](TD E/I)[(down)]
principle governs the functioning of all
of the major nuclear groups within
mammalian central nervous systems.
Because the [SUM](TD E/I)-minimiz-
ation mechanisms of the central nervous
system are always active, microscop-
ic trophic (growth) modifications that
are produced within the neural mass
as a result of impulse activity, and
which encode "learning", conform
rigorously to the [SUM](TD E/I)-min-
imization principle. That which is rel-
atively unfamiliar causes ?(TD E/I) to
increase within the central nervous
system "simply" because the [SUM](TD
E/I)[(down)] principle has had less time
during which to guide the by-production
of trophic modifications with respect to
the unfamiliar circumstance. The
[SUM](TD E/I)[(down)] principle
constitutes the Fundamental Wisdom
that exists within the central nervous
system. Central nervous systems react
blindly to [SUM](TD E/I)[(down)], in
proportion to the relative increase in
[SUM](TD E/I) without correlation to
any invariant external experiential reality.
Hence the irrational devaluation, one
for the other, that occurs between in-
dividuals, and among groups, that are
unfamiliar with each other, whether
the people involved are sports fans,
etc., or members of different races,
religions, cultures, or nationalities.
Hence hatred. Hence war. Etc."

I was Declaring the Neuroscience
equivalent of Newton's reification
of 'gravity', referring to it as "the
Fundamental Wisdom that exists
within the central nervous system".

I reiterated this in Ap10:

"When I set out 25 years ago, the center
of my focus was the ubiquity (and tragedy)
of prejudice. I had become convinced that
a single phenomenon, having a very-gen-
eralized nature, (analogous to gravitational
attraction in physics) was responsible for
the ubiquity of prejudice. In my efforts to
discover this principle, [...]

I have come to accept the TD E/I-minimi-
zation principle as being as central to
Neuroscience the concept of gravity
is in classical mechanics."

I tried to be Sensitive about the "impact" that
I knew would occur within folks' nervous
systems, by not stating explicitly that I was
doing, in Neuroscience, the same thing that
Newton had done in the old Natural Philos-
ophy.

It was not only that I wanted to be Gentle
with folks' sensibilities. I'd already exper-
ienced more than a 'decade' of "the intrigues"
that I've discussed in previous posts, and
felt that I had to try to just state the gist of
it without "raising a red flag", which,
in retrospect, is Funny because "the gist
of it" was its own "red flag", but one that
only 'physicists' could see.

Anyway, NDT is the Neuroscience equiv-
alent of Newton's work in the old Natural
Philosophy.

K. P. Collins