Why is there such a lack of interest in neuroscience?

r norman rsn_ at _comcast.net
Sun Jan 9 08:08:45 EST 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 19:17:19 -0800, Sir Frederick
<mmcneill at fuzzysys.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:02:24 -0500, r norman <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:44:09 -0800, Sir Frederick
>><mmcneill at fuzzysys.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Why is there such a lack of interest in neuroscience?
>>>The whole issue of brain structure and function is IMO
>>>the most important of all.
>>
>>For some funny reason, it occurs to me that everybody that can read
>>your question in this news group has an extraordinarily HIGH interest
>>in neuroscience!
>
>Then those with an extraordinarily HIGH interest in neuroscience
>should be aware of their minority. Why is this interest a minority?
>

>>To rephrase -- why is there such an interest in neuro but so little
>>interest in science?
>
>Please explain this question.

Originally, as the following guideline indicates, bionet was set up as
a resource for active scientists to discuss their work:

"The BIOSCI newsgroup network was developed to allow easy worldwide
communications between biological scientists who work on a variety of
computer networks.
"List of BIOSCI Newsgroup Topics
   NEUROSCIENCE      Discussions about research in the neurosciences"

(from http://www.bio.net/docs/biosci-us.infosheet)

or

"Most other BIOSCI newsgroups [including bionet.neuroscience] are
dedicated to professional discussions in the area defined by the name
of the newsgroup"
 (from http://www.bio.net/BIOSCI/biosci.faq)

The original idea was that this group was a forum for professionals to
discuss issues directly related to neuroscience research. Your (Sir
Frederick's) suggestion for an alt.neuroscience group for general and
open discussion about all sorts of neurobiology related ideas by
anyone and everyone is welcome.  Unfortunately, it will never succeed
specifically for the reason that prompted your question in the first
place.

To be a bit more specific,  speculation about the "mind" is a fairly
arcane, but still very widespread subject.  Speculation about the
"brain" and its operation is rather more specialized.  Actual
discussion about the brain and its operation based on knowledge
obtained from experiments and calculations published in refereed
primary research publications is a very specialized field requiring
extensive background and training.  It is the latter area that I call
"science".   But, then, I am a grumpy and curmudgeonly old man set in
my ways.