What is this condition called?

Mimi_s_Mum (remove minuses) mimi-s-mum at earthling.net
Sun Jan 9 17:01:50 EST 2005

Hi there
I'm a RN working on a neurosurgical ward.  We have this patient who
has presented us with a difficulty in expressive verbal communication.

This gentleman is a native speaker of English but also a fluent
speaker of chinese and had taught English in China.  He suffered a
cerebral bleed in L) hemisphere (probably in front-parietal region
but, not sure excatly where it is, sorry), has severe weakness in L0
limbs and has had difficulty speaking in English. He appeared to have
no difficulty comprehending either language and also appeared to be
conversing freely in Chinese, and in fact his Chinese friends said
there is no flaw in his Chinese.  However he has been answering
English questions in Chinese (,which his chinese friends said made
perfect senses) and manages to speak only brief English sentenses,
admitting he can't get correct English words out.  When he manages,
his English expressions seem sometimes quite odd, outlandish, even.
Eg he said he had a problem with his body heat, or something like
that, but said yes, when asked whether he was hot.

My question is; is there special term for this condition?  I've read
several neuroscience books for general public written by O Sacks, WH
Calvin, VS Ramachandran and AR Damasio, etc,  familier with terms like
Broca's and Wernicke's aphasia, and vaguely remember conditions like
this case were mentined in their books.  The neuro nurse colleages
seemed to categorise his condition as 'expressive dysphasia' and
doccument as such.  But I wonder if there is a better term to discribe
his condition.  Hope some of you can help me.

Regards
Masaki

PS
I'm a fluent bilingual speaker myself and probably that's the reason
why I'm particularly interested in this case.  I myself experience
difficulties in switching between two languages when speaking, but
never have problem comprehending.  Why is that?