Why is there such a lack of interest in neuroscience?

kenneth collins kenneth.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 10 22:34:42 EST 2005

"r norman" <rsn_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message news:0r92u095o8oflb3a214skqaodfsmvptblb at 4ax.com...
| [...]

| Originally, as the following guideline indicates, bionet was set up as
| a resource for active scientists to discuss their work:
|
| "The BIOSCI newsgroup network was developed to allow easy worldwide
| communications between biological scientists who work on a variety of
| computer networks.
| "List of BIOSCI Newsgroup Topics
|   NEUROSCIENCE      Discussions about research in the neurosciences"
|
| (from http://www.bio.net/docs/biosci-us.infosheet)
|
| or
|
| "Most other BIOSCI newsgroups [including bionet.neuroscience] are
| dedicated to professional discussions in the area defined by the name
| of the newsgroup"
| (from http://www.bio.net/BIOSCI/biosci.faq)
|
| The original idea was that this group was a forum for professionals to
| discuss issues directly related to neuroscience research. Your (Sir
| Frederick's) suggestion for an alt.neuroscience group for general and
| open discussion about all sorts of neurobiology related ideas by
| anyone and everyone is welcome.  Unfortunately, it will never succeed
| specifically for the reason that prompted your question in the first
| place.
|
| To be a bit more specific,  speculation about the "mind" is a fairly
| arcane, but still very widespread subject.  Speculation about the
| "brain" and its operation is rather more specialized.  Actual
| discussion about the brain and its operation based on knowledge
| obtained from experiments and calculations published in refereed
| primary research publications is a very specialized field requiring
| extensive background and training.  It is the latter area that I call
| "science".   But, then, I am a grumpy and curmudgeonly old man set in
| my ways.

Who posts discussions that are always
like the finest Crystal in their Clarity and
of the Highest-Value =Be-Cause= of that.

FWIW, I've =never= experienced you as a
anything but Brilliant-Light stuff. Matt Jones,
too.

I've had to be the "bull in the china shop".

And you've handled all that with Grace,
never once being anything but Crystal-Clarity.

Forgive me, I don't mean to "embarass" you.

You Honor Truth. It's in your bones.

That must be Recognized and Honored.

Cheers, Dr. Norman, ken [k. p. collins]