The actention focusing power of magic

Peter F - for EIMC Internetional Ptd. Lty. fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 11 02:32:07 EST 2005

"Sir Frederick" <mmcneill at fuzzysys.com> wrote in message news:t1p6u05cb12cbt2213hhdkqgdglf2t2e8s at 4ax.com...
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:13:31 +1100, "Peter F - for EIMC Internetional Ptd. Lty."
> <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> >You might not know that I like analyzing what
> >our "Actention Selection System" makes us capable of.
> >
> >It even allows some people to construct magic websites!
> >
> >For an example, go to http://www.magicword.se/
> >
> >Click on "Magi" ((Magic)
> >
> >On the new page click on "Korttrick" (card trick)
> >
> >Now you will be shown six cards.
> >Think of one and _remember_ it.
> >(Make sure you don't let your computer know which.)
> >
> >Then click on "Klar" (Ready)
> >
> >Then observe how hard it is
> >to hide anything from your computer
> >- who, as it turns out, succeeds at
> >removing the card you thought about.
> >
> >If you think it is worth your while,
> >you can start over again, by clicking "Tillbaka".
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Peter
>

> No magic, the machine cheats by removing them all.
> All those then displayed are new.

You are a bad sport - for spoiling the fun of being spooked for lesser sleuths ;-)

> The only "real" magic  I experience is "existence" : that there
> is something rather than nothing.

That one is no longer magic to me. :-)
It is taken care of (at least of within my cerebrum)
by combining thought patterns that include 'anthropic principle limited Infinity'
and the 'psychoetymology' of 'No_thing'.

(You may take that as a very roughly improvised indication how
I have immunized myself to that "real magic". %-|  )

> I experience some "virtual magic" in the qualia of my
> subjective experiences. Virtual magic is a pragmatic
> evolutionary delusion, easily understood by studying
> AI.

I like and subscribe to the rationally respectless expression
"evolutionary delusion" :).

However I don't think I can become a devotee of the
only virtually, or possibly delusionally, modelling of
feeling and cognitive "awarenesses" of humans
and other animals by program structures planned
by AI experts  - this due to AI's _incomparably lesser_
functional complexity and depth of adaptive anchorage in
physical reality.

Regards,
Peter

IMO AI should be required studies for all studying