Ibotenic acid protocol

mikeyd mikeydeschwa at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:59:43 EST 2005

I've been trying to run an excitotoxic study, but am having difficulty
getting my ibotenic acid (Sigma) to stay in solution at a concentration
of 5% in either 0.9% saline or 0.01M PBS.  I can get it to go into
solution with a combination of heat, vortexing and a little NaOH, but
when I  aliquoted it and froze it (@ -120 deg C), it precipitated out
and did not go back in when thawed to room temp.

Is there something i'm missing here (I just need to keep a hot water
bath next to my stereotax to keep this stuff in solution), or is there
a better alternative (NMA/NMDA)?

Thanks!