First brain cells grown in lab

Matthew Kirkcaldie m.kirkcaldie at removethis.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 18:18:24 EST 2005

In article <AabHd.9887$pZ4.9609 at newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
 "Allen L. Barker" <alb at datafilter.com> wrote:

> SCIENTISTS have successfully grown human brain cells in the
> laboratory for the first time and used them to repair the
> damaged brains of head-injury victims.

Yessss ... from a sample obtained from a CHOPSTICK that had PUSHED
THROUGH SOMEONE'S EYE.  They then supposedly proliferated in the
patient's brain (unlike any other neuron in the cortex) and then, in a
remarkable feat, restored abilities lost due to an injury.  Presumably
they brought those abilities with them from the other patient, or knew
how to restore the missing functions in the recipient.

Forgive me if I remain a little sceptical.

      Matthew.