[Neuroscience] New MSc in Brain Imaging and Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Sheffield, UK

B Msc bicn-msc at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 06:17:41 EST 2005

We are pleased to announce a new MSc:

   Brain Imaging and Cognitive Neuroscience (BICN)

This MSc is associated with the Centre for Signal Processing in
Neuroimaging and Systems Neuroscience (SPiNSN) based in the Department
of Psychology at the University of Sheffield.

The course is full time for one year, and is due to start in October
2006. At this time we are seeking *expressions of interest* rather
than formal applications.

*** Course description ****

Cognitive neuroscience is a branch of psychology that seeks to understand
the biological basis of mental events.  Over the past two decades the
development of brain imaging techniques such as functional magnetic
resonance imaging (fMRI), optical imaging (OI) and electroencephalography
(EEG) have revolutionised cognitive neuroscience, and have yielded new
insights into how the brain works.  During this course students will
acquire an exceptional range of knowledge and skills related to the field
of neuroimaging.  The course will provide a detailed background in
neurophysiology and cognitive neuroscience, and training in
state-of-the-art magnetic resonance and optical imaging techniques.  In
addition, practical classes in computer programming, statistics and image
analysis will provide students with the necessary mathematical competence
and skills to work in a functional imaging laboratory.

The course includes mathematical content, and we are therefore keen to
recruit students from two backgrounds.  First, we would like to
recruit students from numerate disciplines (e.g physical sciences,
mathematics or engineering) who wish to apply their skills in a
neuroscientific context; training in the essential neuroscience
background will be provided.  Second, we would like to
recruit students from the biological sciences who feel able to tackle
mathematical material; tutorial help will be available to assist in
this respect.

If you think you may be interested in this course starting in October
2006, please send an email to bicn-msc at sheffield.ac.uk. You will then be
placed on a database of interested people and will receive further
details on application procedures in due course.

For more information see http://www.shef.ac.uk/psychology/newpgrads/BICN.htm