Can the cingulate gryus suppress the pre-frontal cortex?

Jay Cee none at none.com
Wed Jun 1 22:27:04 EST 2005

 I have lived a life of high anxiety and ongoing cognitive problems (foggy
brain / memory issues / difficulty with concentration) whilst paradoxically
still achieving above average scores on IQ tests.

The cognitive difficulties have caused me such frustration that I have
undergone a series of SPECT scans in an attempt to find what, if any
biological condition may be causing this. A diagnosis based upon the SPECT
results and historical mood data came back with the probably that I suffer
from Bipolar II and an extreme obsessive generalized anxiety disorder.

The SPECT results have shown normal metabolic function through the majority
of the brain, however a grossly overactive anterior cingulate gyrus was
noted. A scan such as this is synonymous with obsessive anxiety conditions.

For anybody who may have some technical knowledge in the background, could I
be correct in supposing that an overactive cingulate gyrus may be
suppressing signals from reaching the prefrontal cortex / executive seat,
and thus causing me the attentional and cognitive difficulties that I have
been experiencing?