Why Aspirin Affects Men and Women Differently Until Menopausal Age

James Michael Howard jmhoward at anthropogeny.com
Tue Mar 8 15:31:48 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:23:29 -0500, "Jeff" <kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>This is not a neuroscience issue. why are you posing here?
>
>Considering that both male and female sex hormones go down in females after
>menopause, your theory is full of crap. You should do real research for your
>theory, not kneejerk reactions every time a new paper comes out.
>
>Jeff

Well, I thought stroke was a "neuroscience" issue.  When I put
"neuroscience" and "stroke" in google, it came up with a lot of
connections.

Well, I could find only one citation which connected increased
testosterone and low estradiol with increased probability of a
coronary event.  According to my hypothesis, this group of women would
be positively affected by aspirin, not normal women.  So far no one
has examined this connection with stroke in women.

Menopause. 2004 May-Jun;11(3):315-22. Related Articles, Links

Association between hormonal changes at menopause and the risk of a
coronary event: a longitudinal study.

Guthrie JR, Taffe JR, Lehert P, Burger HG, Dennerstein L.

Office for Gender and Health, Department of Psychiatry, University of
Melbourne, RMH, Victoria, Australia.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the association of hormone levels at
menopause, lifestyle variables, and body composition with the
predicted 10-year risk of a coronary event, calculated using the
PROCAM scoring system, in a population-based sample of
Australian-born, middle-aged women. DESIGN: A 9-year prospective study
of 438 Australian-born women, who at baseline were aged 45 to 55 years
and had menstruated in the prior 3 months. Interviews, fasting blood,
and physical measurements were taken annually. The risk of an acute
coronary event was calculated using the PROCAM scoring system
(includes: age, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, smoking,
high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, systolic blood pressure, family
history of premature myocardial infarction, diabetes mellitus, and
triglycerides). RESULTS: Retention rate after 8 years of follow-up was
88% (n = 387). In women not using hormone therapy (HT): higher than
average body mass index (BMI) (P < 0.001), BMI that increased (P <
0.005), lower than average estradiol levels (P < 0.005), estradiol
levels that decreased (P < 0.001), and high free testosterone levels
(P < 0.05) were associated with increased risk of a coronary event.
There was a trend for high exercise frequency to be associated with a
decreased risk (P < 0.07). After BMI and lifestyle variables were
taken into account, use of HT did not have a significant effect on
risk of a coronary event. CONCLUSION: In this longitudinal
observational study of middle-aged Australian-born women, high BMI, an
increase in BMI, high free testosterone, low estradiol, and a decrease
in estradiol levels were the main determinants of increased risk of an
acute coronary event, based on the PROCAM scoring system calculation.
More frequent exercise tended to lower the risk.