Isolated brain

Bruno Panetta bpanetta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:49:49 EST 2005

r norman scripsit:

> Some poor reader had a legitimate, albeit rather naive, question
about
> brain transplants, and you ridicule him unmercifully.  Why don't you
> try educating, instead.

I don't care about that. Winding up people on usenet is one of my
favourite hobbies, although this was one of my few serious posts. Well,
serious-ish. I admit I deliberately phrased it in a very provocative
way, and I knew there was no way to answer it. For a long time I have
been interested in locked in syndrome, and the situation outlined in
White's articles is in a sense the ultimate locked in state: no imputs,
no outputs, no way to communicate with the "isolated brain". Of course
the transplant is not really necessary, severing the cranial nerves
would obtain the same results.
Incidentally, that would be an interesting punishment for some heinous
criminals: induce the "ultimate locked in state", then pump their
bodies full of chemicals known to produce a state of anguish and fear.

Bruno