The feeling of time

Peter F - for EIMC Internetional Ptd. Lty. fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Sat Mar 26 01:03:01 EST 2005

"Dave Reckoning" <Dave_Reckoning at notmail.com> wrote in message
news:wWL0e.101730$r55.3722 at attbi_s52...
> What brain structure or function allows us to sense and manage the
> perception and sequence of time?
>
> I tried Google but have a hard time sorting through to the relevant bits.
>
> Dave Reckoning
> Noblesville, Indiana

This is a subject suited to an amateur philosopher like me! %-)

The perception of time periods (between one "state" changing into or being
replaced by another -
never exactly the same - "state") depends on several internal clocks that
were set in our phylogeny
(set to regular cyclic environmental changes).

These internal clocks (presumably only some of have been discovered by
science) run rather
independently of 'day-to-night'-specific (or otherwise regularly
environmentally specified) sensory information.

However, their clock-like pulses of information are sent to neurons
that monitor and respond to different kinds of environmental changes,
and to neurons that rather directly effect motor action, and to those that
motivare or plan our behavior (according our current, recent and past
experiences/situations).

Different durations of time are monitored/detected and represented by
different the
firing of different neurons  - and approximately the same thing can be said
about
what our different qualities contents and levels of Consciousness consist
of.

Namely, that they are (also) produced by different transient patterns in and
of biophysically
evolved "brainspacetime".

BTW - if any one tells you that a computer can be Conscious about time
cognitively, and/or feel it emotionally, and/or know it
'visceromotor-sensorially',
don't believe them! %-|

This webpage http://www.edwardwillett.com/Columns/timeperception.htm
cleverly but crudely informs you about a transmitter and a couple of areas
of the brain
that seem (to scientific investigators of our neuropsychology) to be
especially instrumental
in our perception of time (or ~= change/s).

Regards,