Terri Schiavo Question

Jeff kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:03:18 EST 2005

"Steven O." <null at null.com> wrote in message
news:156c411ej4j2t4u70670pdg47ehrv24dot at 4ax.com...
> This is probably just asking for trouble, but I can't help but ask...
>
> First of all, according to the best available public evidence, is
> Terri Schiavo's cerebral cortex completely, totally liquified, or has
> there instead been a major loss of cortical tissue but with some
> tissue remaining.

My understanding is that most,  but not all, of her cerebral cortex has been
replaced by fluid.

> Second -- would it be possible for oxygen deprivation to cause loss of
> the cerebral cortext, but for the lower brain centers to remain more
> or less intact?  That is, can the cerebellum, limbic system, and
> mid-brain remain pretty much functional and alive?

I guess so. Her midbrain is alivve (where eye movement is generated) and her
medulla.

> And, if yes, is there any evidence as to how much of Terri Schiavo's
> lower brain centers remain active?

Here midbrain and medulla are probably alive.

> Finally -- and here is the real kicker -- if the cerebral cortex is
> gone, but the other brain centers remain alive, is there any
> possibility that some kind of primitive experience continues, even
> with all cortical-based thinking gone?

We will never know for sure, but I don't think so.

> My understanding is that some lower animals have no cortical brain at
> all, yet one would assume they still have some kind of experience or
> awareness.  So, I am wondering if that could be the case for TS.

I think thsoe functions require a working cortex in humans and other
mammals.

Jeff