Left/Righ and hearing

Allen L. Barker alb at datafilter.com
Tue May 10 19:07:44 EST 2005

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:
> Kalman Rubinson wrote:
>
>> Just to add:  There's an obligatory synapse in the inferior colliculus
>> between the brainstem nuclei and the medial geniculate.
>
> OK.
> My main interest in this concerns subliminal technologies, brainwave
> entrainment, binaural tone stuff etc.
>
> Seems that feeding different images into different eyes might be a lot
> more productive that an equivalent for the ears.

Why do you conclude this?  Why should the separation into
different hemispheres make a real difference?  A common sort of
subliminal/entrainment method encodes the actual signal (whether
auditory-frequency or ELF "mood") as the beat-pattern between two
slightly different tones.  The two tones are then fed to different
ears, and the claim is that they later get recombined in the brain
in a way which consciously or unconsciously influences the person.
Whatever the efficacy of such systems -- there is little reputable,
published research in the area -- such methods would not
necessarily require that the separation be across the two
hemispheres.  The signals *are* getting combined; the only question
is whether the beat-encoded information has a real effect.

Whether or not it works, and to whatever extent, there are certain
pits of snakes which one should avoid.  The Monroe Institute (near
Charlottesville and the NGIC Army Intelligence Lab) holds some
patents for such methods and makes various claims.  This is *not* an
endorsement of any sort.

--------------

The Monroe Institute
http://www.monroeinstitute.org/

"One Gateway alumnus, the head of a Zen Buddhist Temple...believes
that Gateway students can reach meditation states in a week that
took him years of sitting." - The Wall Street Journal

--------------

http://www.stephanaschwartz.com/remote_viewing_dvd.htm

Remote Viewing and Hemisynch - Skip Atwater

A second view of the Army experience. Atwater, while serving
as a U.S. Army Counterintelligence Special Agent volunteered
to participate in the Army’s Remote Viewing program, and initiated
the program now known to the world by the code name Star Gate.
During his tour at Fort Meade, with Smith, and Graf, he underwent
training at The Monroe Institute, near Charlottesville, Virginia.
He developed a training process to enhance the skills of the Army’s
Remote Viewers using The Monroe Institute’s audio technology known
as Hemi-Sync. Atwater explains the program, which involves
specialized sound forms, breathing exercises, guided relaxation,
affirmations, and visualizations. Now retired from the Army, he is
the Monroe Institute’s Research Director.

--
Mind Control: TT&P ==> http://www.datafilter.com/mc
Music ==> http://www.soundclick.com/kingflowermusic.htm