Left/Righ and DECUSSATION

SJM Guzman jose.guzman at medizin-uni-leipzig.de
Tue May 17 12:33:53 EST 2005

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

> Anyway, one last question - why is there a crossover?
>

> Dirk

Hello again Dirk:

I guess with Mr. Collins' book, you will get the answer for every
question regarding lateralization and more. However, I would like to
explain you briefly the necessity of the crossover...

The main reason for nerve crossover is to provide the cortex with
information of both sides of the body.

Moreover, with this property, we have additionally an extraordinary
faculty; we have almost two copies of the sensory/motor information in
the cortex, and in case of damage, with the plasticity of the brain, we
could always reinervate the contralateral (the opposite side) damage
with the projection of the ipsilateral (the same side) of the cortex.

Thank you very much for your nice complement!

Regards!

PS:  Mr. Collins, would you be also so nice to send me a digital copy of
your book. I am sure it would be certainly interesting, given your
comments in the newsgroups. You can find my e-mail address in
http://www.neurohost.org, or let me know yours, to contact you.

Thanks in advance.

SJM Guzman