[Neuroscience] Re: Blood Oxygenation Level-Dependent Signal Level?

r norman NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 08:45:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:06:57 +0200, Jeff B. <jeffbaure at yahoo.fr>
wrote:

>Le Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:46:18 -0400, r norman
><NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net> a écrit :
>
>>>Can someone provide a reasonably concise definition of "Blood
>>>Oxygenation Level-Dependent Signal Level" and its correlates?
>
>>Google on "blood oxidation level dependent signal" and you get a lot
>>of good hits.  The functional MRI (fMRI) imaging signal that is
>>recorded depends on blood oxygen level.  Therefore the level
>>(magnitude) of that signal is called  "blood oxygenation level
>>dependent".
>
>Maybe this is also relevant for HEG (HemoEncephaloGraphy) which
>estimates the frontal activity levels via near IR spectrometry and
>blood oxygenation.
>Jeff

Just a quick correction here.  I see my fingers wrote "blood oxiDAtion
level" when, of course my head was telling them blood oxyGENAtion
level".  Although both produce search results, there really is a
difference.  Of course there is no oxidation-reduction reaction when
blood is oxygenated.