[Neuroscience] Re: peptides affecting neural circuits?

Peter F notdisclosed
Tue Sep 27 09:39:44 EST 2005

"r norman" <NotMyRealEmail at _comcast.net> wrote in message
news:653gj1dtrf9ki4c0jse520f7gfodekked5 at 4ax.com...
> On 26 Sep 2005 07:36:58 -0700, "COHENMARVIN" <cohenmarvin at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I've read that 'angiotensin', a peptide, causes thirst.  I assume
that
> >this is because of its effect on some neural circuit.  I've also read
> >that PT-141, a peptide, (see answers.com) causes sexual urges.  I'm
> >wondering if this is a general rule of how the brain works.  Can
small
> >peptides trigger all our urges?  Do they do this by occupying
receptors
> >on specific neural circuits?  Does anyone have information on this?
> >-- Marvin
>
> There is a wide variety of peptides active in the nervous system as
> neurotransmitters, cotransmitters, neural modulators  -- whatever the
> name you use, they act at synapses causing or modifying synaptic
> transmission.  They also can act as part of signalling systems causing
> all sorts of cellular responses including directing patterns of
> growth.
>
> Google on "neuropeptide".  You get almost 1.4 million hits.  One I
> found early in the list with a general overview is
>   http://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000047/CH.html

It seems that what all the different synaptically active neurochemicals
do, is to dampen or boost the
metabolic (and firing) rate of different neurons that are no less
specialized by evolution (no less than, e.g. neuropeptides) to perform
certain functions.

Hence, I don't think one can conclude that a certain kind of peptide is
more responsible for certain feelings or sensations (e.g. hunger), than
is a certain functional category of neurons.

However, it seems to me one *can*, without giving rise to
self-contradictory logic, conclude (for whatever it is worth) that, a
certain functionally significant (sub)pattern of metabolic activity in
"brainspacetime"

[or that, a largely non-neatly structured and sufficiently energized -
as if by present and past (by conditioning encoded) environmental
influences "cheered and booed", and a fundamentally
physically/chemically and phylogenetically
encoded-to-become-intrinsically-weighted, "competition" between
functionally incompatible "actention module"]

gives rise to correspondingly different sensory-reflexive awarenesses,
different emotions, or cognitive (thinking or mindful) awareness.